- Founded in 1859 by the Society of Jesus to educate Catholic boys from in and around Glasgow
- Original school campus was at Charlotte Street, Bridgeton
- First school roll was just 25 pupils
- Relocated main campus to Garnethill in 1866 with a roll of 70 and rising
- Jesuits focused on enhancing the College’s reputation as the educational institution of choice for Catholics in Glasgow
- Numbers increased significantly in the late 1870s, largely thanks to Head Master Fr Francis Bacon SJ
- Fr Eric Hanson SJ arrived as Head Master, heralding a period of sustained growth in pupil numbers
- The College also achieved significant success in public examinations
- Fr Hanson SJ’s tenure spanned a quarter of a century, during which he worked to assure parents of the value of higher education, establishing the College as one of the foremost schools in the country
- By the end of his time at the College, the roll had reached 500 pupils
- Parents were unable to obtain places due to swelling school numbers
- College took steps to accommodate more pupils
- Relocated Junior School in 1954, allowing for double the Primary School numbers whilst increasing numbers and improving facilities in the Senior School
- College became a fully independent school in the final quarter of the century
- The College took the decision to accept girls in 1979, key to establishing the St Aloysius’ College of today
- With the 21st century came a sustained period of growth for the College and its campus
- Construction of a state of the art Junior School Building
- Addition of the Clavius Building for Maths, Science and Technology
- Acquired the Convent of Mercy on Hill Street
- Mr John Stoer was appointed in 2004 as the College’s first lay Head and pupil numbers reached 1,250 boys and girls from KG to S6. He retired in 2013.
- Mr John Browne was appointed in 2013 with a strategic vision for the College. During his time, he developed the Independent Safeguarding Commission, the Schola Foundation and the provision of a new Sports Facility, which is now complete.
- Head Master Matthew Bartlett was appointed in late 2016.